Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mother, Mother Ocean - 10/4/09





Living so close to the ocean I am constantly aware of her presence - the sounds, the smells, the dramatic change from a soft blue wave to thundering, threatening anger.

Today, Esterillos was once again reminded not to take her for granted. My friends Kate and Dave had a man and his 85 year old father visiting from NC - staying in their cabina. Both men came here last Feb, fell in love with CR and returned this week. While watching the frisbee games on the beach, Jim and I were talking about him seeing me jump off the log up at the waterfalls last Feb. and thought I was crazy. Then we talked about other things - that was about 7pm yesterday.

This morning Jim and his father left Kate and Dave's cabina about 7 am and - no one knows for sure what happened - but they both drowned. The 40something son washed up on the beach in front of LowTide about 8:30am. I just now came up the hill and as of yet - the father has not been found. The assumption is the father may have gone out into the water too far, was knocked down or got caught in a wave and Jim went in to rescue him. No one saw what happened.

In one morning - everything has forever changed for this family. Jim has a wife, a 15 year old daughter and 8 year old son. It is so sad........ I have been sitting with Kate just looking out on the ocean. Dave and another friend Scott made the call to the family in the states. Coast Guard is searching and several other boats are out. Last year - just about this same time - 2 teen age ticos drowned in centro - about a mile down the beach. The 16 year old washed up in front of El Vago the next morning. I was walking on the beach and watched them put a sheet over the body. The younger boy was never found.

So.......today - tell your family you love them. Make the most of every day. You never know when things will dramatically change... forever.

You - who are reading this now - are amongst the people I love the most. You are family, you are friends. Each of you has played a very important part in my life. Some of you I have known for many years - others less than a year. Please know that I love you and I am grateful for having you in my life.

No comments: