Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Costa Rica - April 27, 2007











The month of April has flown - I think the honeymoon may be over. Still it was a happening month. On the first I moved back up the hill into a cabina owned by my friend Eleanor (Bart's mother). Her boyfriend Jerry is here visiting from Canada. He is a high school English teacher and took an extended vacation until September. He has a great sense of humor and thus adds to the fun. The first week I was there Eleanor took Jerry and I way up into the mountains to visit a friend of hers from Germany who owns a farm on 20 acres. He is only in Costa Rica 3 months out of the year and has been working on a house for the past 5 years. What an amazing house it is with a spectacular view of the mountains and valleys. I cannot begin the describe the beauty of this trip!

Several days after that trip another friend of mine - Kate - and I went to visit Hans and Terri (Panama group) at their home in Grecia. Grecia is very Tico and is north of San Jose in the mountains. Kate and I were there for several days enjoying each others company and the local sights. Their house is also at the top of a mountain and for the first time ever in Costa Rica I had to wear my jeans due to the colder temperature. I'm guessing 60 but I really don't know. All I do know is it wasn't in the 80's and 90's like I am used to.

A few days after that trip Eleanor and Jerry made the same trip to Panama as I did last month. They stayed at the same place my group did and saw many of the things I did upon my recommendation. While they were gone I took care of the house and dogs. Yesterday I moved out of my cabina and am now housesitting for friends who left for Europe for a 3 week vacation. The house I am in is the most beautiful in all the village - seriously.

During the month of April I met and spent time with a lot of people who were here for a very short time. The man who gave me my first surf lesson also owns cabinas and a wide variety of people tend to come and go thru "Soda Mary" I have now served as a "lifeguard" twice and I use that word very loosely. Basically all I do is stay on the beach and watch for trouble when he has a large group. 5 is a large group and there is a lot to watch for. Anyway, Soda Mary is like a melting pot. Surfers from all over the world come to Esterillos for the waves. I have spent hours listening to surfing stories for all over the world. This month I even read a book about surfing.

Best Macaw moment - 2 weeks ago sitting under the trees watching some of the best waves we have had since I have been here. Super high tide so I was up on the bank off of the beach. One macaw, I'v seen this one a lot lately, it is unusual for them to be alone. Anyway he/she ? is squawking as loud as they get and adding to the excitement. This went on for about 15 minutes. I decided to walk down the beach and as I got up off the bank and onto the sand I turned around and looked up at the macaw. At that moment, he (I believe it is a he) flew straight for me and maybe 10 feet above my head made a dramatic turn and flew down the beach. It took my breath away!

We are at the start of the rainy season and several times now have had the thunder and lightening and then a down pour at night. I love it when it rains. Last night was the heaviest so far. The house I am staying at has workers putting down tile on the 3rd floor. They were here last night until 7pm which is very dark by then. After they left I had to walk down the hill to close the large gate. This was my first night here and I was a little bit edgy. It was raining hard but I knew I had to get the gate closed. So with umbrella and flashlight in hand, down I went. Before I got to the gate it occurred to me that the last time I was at this gate was a few weeks ago when I came up here to take a photo of a large boa that was in the tree right next to the gate. I seriously had to stay focused on getting the gate closed which was a bit of a challenge so I didn't just freak out and run back up to the house. The backside of this house is literally the jungle. Last year when I was here they had to kill two Fer de lances which are very poisonous snakes that were close to the house. I still hate snakes and being here will be a bit of a challenge - however - on the other hand I had 3 white face monkeys in the back yard this morning.

There is so much more I could say but it has all become so much a part of my daily activities. I look forward to my Thursday art class with my 1st and 2nd graders. The all call me Pa-tricia. I have a number of friends I see or visit almost daily. My bond with this village runs deep. I look forward to my beach walks which are every day and most days - morning and evening. Sea glass has become my new obsession. I hate to leave the beach without a new piece in my pocket, this rarely happens.

I hope to send a few photos in a separate e-mail. Where I am staying, I also have access to wireless internet and thus this is the first time I have ever used my own computer in Costa Rica.

Hope all is well with each of you!!!!!

No comments: