Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Costa Rica - One year later (9/2007)











Time is flying - again so much happening since I last wrote - but I promise this will be shorter than the usual ramblings.

I began the month of August in the beach house - determined to devote that month to surfing. In short - I did try - several times - but the problem is there are no women here to surf with and all the guys are too good to want to hang with me. Plus - as usual - I got involved with all the people who come and go and before I knew it the month was gone. I did, however, have to do the 90 day thing - out of the country for 3 days and upon entry start the 90 day period again. My friend Ann and I, whom I went to Nicaragua with in May, decided to do something very different. We booked an all-inclusive trip to San Andres which is an island on the Caribbean side, close to the Nicaraguan/Costa Rican border but actually belongs to Colombia. Just a one hour flight out of San Jose. We stayed in a beautiful hotel, did all the tourist things and rented a golf cart which we were able to go all the way around the island on. Took about 6 hours with all the stops including lunch. Highlights: perfect weather despite Dean headed for the states, snorkeling from a tow rope that pulled about a dozen of us for about 2 hours in open ocean - many, many beautiful fish. Here's the best part: after the snorkeling we all got back on the boat and went closer to an island. The water was shallow - 4 to 8 feet, white sandy bottom and torquoise water, perfect temp. We were surrounded by stingrays ranging about 3 feet to 6 feet wing span. This was worth the whole trip. When floating with a snorkel I could see one as it was approaching me. As it went under me I could touch it and feel it slide past me. If I was in deeper water and they were a bit lower, I would put me feet on top of them as they passed. When I was in the shallow water standing and could feel them around my feet, I was a bit panicky but laughing. This hour was a huge highlight in my life. I will never ever forget this amazing experience.

The night before we left on this trip, Peru was hit by a large earthquake and the Pacific coast of Central America was given a Tsunami warning. In short, the people here in the village were panicked - seriously. Since I was in the beach house I was also concerned. There was an evacuation of the village and most people headed up the hill. The people I rent from and several others from Cecilia's family all went to my friend's Kurt and Kristi's home. Kurt opened up the villas for anyone who wanted to come. There were only about a dozen of us there. About 2 hours after the warning, it was terminated and everyone went home - thank God.

The first of Sept I headed back up the hill to the house now referred to, by friends, as the Presidential Palace. The owners are still in Canada but will return on October 12th. Then it will be back down the hill to the beach house again. Hopefully I will remain there until I return to CA in December. Still not sure where I will go after the holidays.

A few weeks ago a friend - Elizabeth, 29, beautiful, from Holland - asked me if I would cover for her at a vet clinic in Jaco while she returned to Holland for 3 weeks. I said Yes. The clinic is a foundation supported by donations that helps street dogs and cats, rescued animals, low cost spay and neuter and other services. Actually they take anything that is brought in the door. What I did not know was that it is just she and one other woman who actually help the vet as his assistant. There are many people who donate to this clinic and help in other ways but only these two who are willing to help with the day to day services - namely the blood and guts side of being in a vet clinic. On my first day I was only there until noon. By the time I had left I had taken an x-ray, cleaned cages, walked a few dogs and assisted with putting a dog out and helping with a bladder obstruction. By 11am on the 2nd day I was assisting with full on surgery. The same dog with the obstruction had to have stones - from bad food - removed from his bladder. The dog was cut open to accomplish this. I was there from the set up to the sopping up blood, cutting stitches, drawing fluid out of the IV bag (was worried about poking myself with the needle) to the very end when I carried the dog to the kennel. It was amazing. Since then I have been in the clinic 5 other days. I now know how to spay/neuter cats and dogs. I also know how awful it is to have a dog bitten by a snake and then have it die. In this very short amount of time spent - I have learned lots. The vet is fairly young, Tico and speaks Spanish but also understands and can speak some English. I have finally found my motivation to learn Spanish. Our one receptionist, Wendy, speaks very good English. Elizabeth left on Tuesday. Tomorrow it will be just me, Wendy and Victor - the vet.

One more quick thing - two weeks ago, went flying with a friend - twice actually - in an open cockpit plane. The plane was originally made for National Geographic to do a story and photos in a remote area of Africa. The plane has 3 seats - one right behind the other. It can fly as slow as 45 mph. Both times we flew over and around Esterillos. When we came down the beach we were so low that my friend Kurt, who was out on his board in the waves, could actually see both me and my friend. The view was beyond breathtaking. Made me fall in love with Costa Rica all over again.

That's it for now - must get to bed early - I am a working girl now!! Hope all is well in your part of the world - love to all of you!!

No comments: