Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Costa Rica - Feb. 9, 2007









Just wanted to let you know I arrived last week and already feel like I'v been here a long time. The weather is very hot as I was told it would be. It is like being at Nacimento Lake when it is a 100 degrees, however, the ocean water is just like the lake - perfect. The mornings, late afternoon and evenings is when people are out and doing things. Afternoons are for sitting in the pool or naps - or listening to Spanish tapes as I am now trying to do most afternoons.

Last Saturday I went ATVing up in the mountains behind Jaco with Kurt, Kristi and their 2 friends visiting from San Diego. The ride was beautiful, the view from the top of the mountain spectacular. We passed thru a small village that was just charming and very Tico.

The fisherman have been fishing a lot a night - maybe because it is so hot during the day - I;m not sure. In the evenings with the beautiful pre-sunset light it is so fun to sit and watch all the activity they go thru to get ready to head out to sea. There are usually about 10 boats that go out. Mind you these are not fancy sport fishing boats, just simple old boats that have been used for years by these simple hard working fisherman who all look as worn as old leather but always have a smile on their face. When it gets dark you can see all 10 single lights bobbing on the water about a mile out. As the sun comes up - that is when they head back in to meet the men from the markets who are all waiting for the fresh catch.

While I was gone Bart had to have 2 small tumors removed - one from his leg the other from his side. Test results are still not in. On Wednesday, Mr. Bart tore out some stitches so Eleanor and I took him back to the vet. Poor Bart now has to wear a cone and thus I now have a photo of "Sad Bart". He only has to wear it for a week and then we will be hitting the beach.

Sunday I went to a Super Bowl game at probably the only house in Esterillos that has a satellite that got the game. Since I love horses I was for the colts :) - Lots of fun, food and drink. Most people I knew and the new ones are now new friends.

Yesterday while I was having lunch with a friend at one of our very small restaurants "Mama" macaw flew in for a short visit. I assume she saw me and was as glad to see me as I was her. I got a great photo of her sitting on a chair before she flew out.

I still have not been in the water. I am giving my tattoo another week just to be sure. For those of you who do not know of the tattoo - yes, I have one. A bright red macaw. Yes - I have lost it!! By Monday it will be healed and then I can hit the waves. Yesterday there was another sighting of a crocodile very close to the regular surfing area in Esterillos. Just when I thought it was safe - here we go again.

Yesterday I committed myself to teaching Art to the 1st and 2nd graders at the local school. Art is not part of the regular curiculum and so it is an extra "after school" class along with computers and learning English. Last year this small school was given 18 computers - an extremely generous donation. Kurt was the primary computer instructor. The week before I arrived someone broke into the school at night and stole ALL the computers. The whole community is upset but there is nothing that can be done. Kurt is still very upset.

I considered asking each of you to consider giving a donation to this small community to help with its loss but since this message is going to state supported e-mail addresses I didn't think that appropriate - so I will not ask - But, if you consider this on your own and would be willing to do so please contact me and I will be happy to tell you were any donation could be sent.

As always - I wish each and every one of you could join me in this beautiful place I have been lucky enough to land in. Each day I am thankful for the wonder and beauty I experience.

No comments: