Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The last word you want to hear while surfing... (2/27/2010)

























That would be........ CROCODILE!!!

Yesterday I was out surfing my home break and hear the words I fear the most - crocodile!! I went out with 3 guy friends and meet another way out on "little reef" After about 30 minutes Brett says "where's Keely" - another few minutes go by and Brett sees him on the beach. Brett holds up his hand (we are way out but he can still see us) and is saying "what's up" with his arms held up high and open. Keely gives the wide - vertical - hand and arm clap - CROCODILE. I'm looking at Brett - he looks at me........F..@*%*#

We alert the other 2 guys - Richard who is 57 has been surfing since he was 7 years old in Florida. He's surfed with sharks - actually saw the croc last week and doesn't care. Les is 61 - he does not believe it and says he won't believe it until he actually sees it.

About 3 weeks ago we had a torrential rain. Often when this happens the crocs get washed out into the ocean - they adapt - and they stay......

When I first came here 3 years ago last Sept - on my very first day/night at the LowTide bar on the beach the topic of discussion was the croc attack on a 15 year old Tico boy right here on our beach 2 days prior. He had been surfing - was coming out of the water and the croc got his leg. Amazingly it let him go but his leg is forever messed up. I'v seen the leg and the photos - Alfonso is now 19 and says he will never go in the water again.

I could go on and on about Esterillos croc stories - bottom line - this freaked me out!!

Everytime this happens - and there have been at least 5 sightings in the past 2 weeks - I have a hard time getting in the water and.........I hate that!!!

So, yesterday - I paddled back in but way around from the area we thought it might be.....but not really knowing. It was a long paddle and I was afraid to try and catch a wave, fall and then get caught in the impact zone....When we got on shore, Keely is truly upset. He had been sitting on his board and there it was about 10 feet away. He said it open it's mouth - he saw the teeth. He is saying it was at last 8 feet long! Keely says he left a trail of sh......all the way to shore. He surfed a different beach today.

In the afternoon I took 5 young girl friends horseback riding out of some stables near Bujuco. I'v done this tour at least 8 times before and this was by far the fastest. These girls wanted to RUN and so we did. Horses are my passion and I know how to ride. It was a blast - drinks and pool at the Delfine in Bujuco afterwards - bonfire on the beach last night.

Prior to all this I was up north getting to know a quant little beach town called Playa Negra. I have a friend - Hans - who needed to go up there for business. He was here in Oeste attending our 2nd annual Mardi Gras. When I heard where he was going I asked if I could go along. Just so happens he has a friend up there who owns a house right on the beach and that was were we stayed. 5 days of getting to know this amazing place - boogie boarding, horseback ride that was epic, hanging in the pool, new friends, watching the Olympics in the evening and having 3 guys cook for me - Heaven.......

Prior to all that........Mardi Gras. A total blast - twice as big as last year topped off by EO's favorite band - The Chupacabres playing at LowTide on the beach. Rain started about 7 - which is very unusual for this time of year - but that did not stop the fun. By the end of the evening the white stockings I was wearing - the photos will explain everything.......were totally brown from all the mud. Over the top fun.

No comments: