Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Costa Rica - March 27, 2007






I came here with 3 goals - learn Spanish, help Kurt learn how to do sandblasted glass etching and help him get a business started and learn how to really surf. I am happy to report that I am on track.

The first of this month I moved into the beach house owned by a gringo from California and his Tico wife Cecelia. Both are delightful and bilingual. Cecelia\s family lives all around her and have all been very tolerant of my very limited Spanish. Most of them very patiently smile will I struggle with my written phrase list or my book. I am sure it is all very funny to them but I am trying.

Kurt and I bought a compressor and I did 2 pieces of glass for him to use as samples. Because of recent company and more coming, and other responsibilities he has, we have not had a lot of time together for training but after this next week of company he will have more time.

After getting tossed like a rag in a washing machine I took another surf lesson. Then I bought a new board that fits me. "She" is 8 feet, 4 inches and a beautiful blue - light and wide enough that I can easily carry her even when running across blistering hot sand. For the past 2 weeks Kurt and Kristi had villa guests who also took a surf lesson and were kind enough to include me in their 5 mile drive down the coast to the beach we all learned how to surf on. The waves there are smaller and consistent verses Esterillos Oeste. They left for home on Saturday. Sunday morning I woke up and decided if I was really going to learn how to surf I had to learn how to deal with my own beach. So I got up, waxed up my board and walked down the beach. As it turned out there were two other young adults already in the deep water and I managed to paddle out without a problem. While sitting on the back of my board and bobbing in the waves I felt as if I had arrived = all the while looking out for crocodiles. I tried 3 good size waves - the largest I have ever attempted and amazingly caught all 3. I was almost out of control excited. Then - I went to the same spot today. Had a hard time getting out, had a hard time getting up, got dumped over the nose. Was almost in tears as I walked home with my tail between my legs. I was once again reminded you must respect the ocean at all times. I love the ocean and also fear it.

Second week of March I had an adventure to Panama. My friends Dave and Kate from San Jose California live here but are not yet residents. Thus they need to leave the country for a 3 day period every 90 days to stay current with immigration laws. I had been invited to join them on a trip to the Caribbean side of Panama, just past the Costa Rican boarder to an island named Bocas del Toro. Other friends also joined us and six of us together made the trek. Tico bus from here to San Jose. Nice hotel and dinner Saturday night. Early Sunday the 6 of us caught the bus to Panama. About 6 hours later after miles of Caribbean coastline, mountainous rainforest, quant Tico villages we arrived at the border. We walked across a very long metal bridge to get to the other side. An island taxi took us to our reserved hotel on the charming island of Bocas del Toro. For the next 2 days, we spent our time island hopping, snorkeling, me getting stung on my heal by a small stingray - very painful but only lasted about 3 hours. The last night we were there, the winners and crew from Colombia's Survivior television show was celebrating the last filming. The winner was a beautiful young woman. There was lots of dancing and celebrating going on , which our group of 6 that turned into a group of 11, all joined in. Was a very long fun night. The next day we took the water taxi back to the mainland and headed home. 12 hours later we arrived at home. This trip was beyond fun.

Yesterday me and 2 other guys I know all went fishing with a local fisherman. For $20 each we got 4 hours of trolling up and down the beautiful coast. The day was perfect and all 4 of us were very cozy with plenty of room in the boat that looks nothing like an expensive sport-fishing boat. We actually caught 2 large fish. One was a Pacific Crevalle Jack and the other a huge mackrel. Fresh fish for dinner made it a perfect day.

Every Wednesday I now teach an art class to the 1st and 2nd graders at our local public elementary school. Thank goodness Jennaka, Kurt and Kristi's almost 16 year old daughter, is helping me since she does pretty well with Spanish. The children are so happy and it id a delight to be in their presence. Their school is right on the ocean and next to the tree that many of the macaws hang out at in the afternoon while we are teaching. It just makes me smile every time I hear one of the birds squawking.

My friends Erin and Mike were here last week to see their finished home here in Esterillos for the 1st time. It was so good to see them and spend what little time I did with them. It is all because of them that I am were I am and for that I will always be thankful and grateful to them.

I must get going to catch a bus. As always - hope all is well in your part of the world.

Pura Vida.

No comments: