Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fishing is Way More Fun When Catching Fish




























Tuesday evening I get an e-mail from Dan - my fisherman friend - asking if I want to go fishing the next morning - 6:30 am. At first I considered telling him I couldn't because I was helping with a scheduled beach clean-up.  I have participated in every clean up I have been present in EO for, so within a few minutes decided I would much rather do this - plus this was Dan - my most favorite person to go fishing with!

6:30 - I arrived right on the dot and could see both Dan and his 24 year old neighbor Henry were already there and getting ready to push the boat out.  I hopped in and off we went.  It was already a few hours after high tide but easily enough water to get out.  However, there was swell - a huge swell to deal with.  I have been out with Minor a few other times when the waves were huge but I think on this day this had to have been in the top 2! It was pretty dramatic going out - at one point we did a full circle back and then flew over the top just as it was reforming.  So much fun!!  In any other 26 foot, small ponga boat I would have been highly concerned but with Minor....to me he is the old man of the sea even tho I think he may be 48.

The trip to the "sweet spot" takes about 20-30 minutes down the coast.  With the huge swell the ocean felt so alive as we flew over very large thick rolling waves.

Once we got "there" with lures in the water, I think it may have taken about 10 minutes before Dan got a hit and brought in the first Mackerel.  Then he caught another..........then Henry, then Henry caught another.....then another - until finally - ME!

From the time we launched it was a full 3 hours when we arrived back in Esterillos.  Going back in with the huge waves was just as thrilling as the start only this time we were chasing behind the huge waves.  I cannot emphasize enough how much I loved the coming and going.  The total fish caught was 9 - two of them mine.  I have been out fishing before when nothing was caught.  Let me tell you - it is way more fun when you catch fish.

Depending on the tide, Minor can either bring the boat right up on the shore where we started or anchor further out by the mermaid.  The tide was getting low when we returned so we had to get off the boat in the water and wade in.  Minor's son Brian and another friend were right there waiting for us when we arrived and immediately started gutting the fish.  Once we all got on shore and organized, I had minor filet my fish so I could take it home without having to deal with it.

That night - awesome fish tacos.  After I had already eaten two, I decided to take a photo.  Nothing better than fresh fish you caught yourself.

My dear friend Dan - Thank you once again for an unforgettable day!!!

Pura Vida

No comments: