Thursday, September 20, 2012

Atardecer Hermosa (Beautiful Sunset)

Carol

Rick

William


William

Jairo



Jairo




Abraham


Johana


Gloriana



Heyward & Anna
By mid Sept the "Rainy" season has kicked it up a notch gearing up for October which is traditionally - very rainy.  Up until now, rain is mostly at night.  Presently we are occasionally seeing rain in the mornings for an hour or two - earlier rain in the evening but still there is a huge part of the day that is just perfect.  Like right now - bright blue skies with large fluffy clouds out on the horizon.  I still wear shorts and tank tops, but the air is a bit cooler and very, very comfortable.

During this season, because of the clouds in the evenings, beautiful sunsets are rare.  Plus, there is the fact that amazingly, Esterillos faces SOUTH.  Because I lived on the central coast of California for 30 years - no matter what you tell me - when I am standing on the beach, checking out the waves - I am facing WEST.  I just can't wrap my mind around the concept it is truly SOUTH :)

So what that means, when I am standing on the beach looking at the horizon, the sun rises to my left and sets to my right.  It's still like being in the twilight zone :)  When the sun goes down it is behind the hills and can't be seen.  Same thing when it rises - it comes up behind the huge mountains to the East.  However - in mid Nov thru mid Feb. the sun moves horizontally towards the point and for just those few months one can see the sun actually set over the water if you are standing at the shoreline.  I don't quiet understand how this happens, I just know that it does.

Enough of that!  Yesterday I was on the beach watching my friends Anna and Heyward surf, who are only here for this week.  The waves have been huge and sloppy so I had no plans to go out.  I had my small point and shoot and wasn't expecting anything spectacular but oh.....was I wrong.  Never underestimate Mother Nature. A number of my local tico friends were out surfing along with Rick, Anna and Heyward.

Yesterday was my 6 year anniversary of being here in Costa Rica.  The sunset and good friends to share it with was a perfect reminder of just how lucky and blessed I have been to have discovered and be able to enjoy all these amazing years.

Pura Vida

No comments: