Friday, June 14, 2013

Adam

When my son's friend Adam arrived here the end of January - he had no idea how the next 5 months would forever change his life. In short, Adam used my house as home base as he came and went - each adventure giving him more confidence in his spanish speaking ability, his travel experience, changing his diet to vegetarian...., the joy of living day to day and most important - the number of amazing people who would enter his life and have such a profound effect on everything!!!

May 28th was Adam's 33rd birthday - same date as my friend Kate.  I took him to breakfast at a local place on the beach, then rented a car hoping to be able to do something special but instead had the car break down on the highway and that was that. He surfed, spent the day with friends he cares about, had a pretty mellow day.  

Last Friday, June 7th Adam left Esterillos.  His plan was to go to El Salvador but instead went straight onto Mexico.  He has family there he wants to visit, surf spots he can't wait to hit.  He needs to be back in California by sometime in July so he can prepare to take his nursing exam in August/maybe Sept.  Seven years in the Navy, 4 years of college to earn his bachelor's in Nursing and now this time to himself to prepare him for the next chapter in his life.

Having Adam here was a constant reminder of my life in California and of my son Scott.  Even tho I really didn't know him very well when he was a young adult, I certainly got to know him while living here in my house.  I came to love him, appreciate him, see him as an unexpected friend who came into my life out of the blue.  I am grateful he took the chance - to leave his comfort zone - experience life on a level that cannot be explained until you have been there.

There is no doubt Adam and I are close.  He knows he will always be welcome to come back, that I will follow his life in the years to come.  I look forward to seeing just who the lucky girl is he ends up with and someday watching that little naked child of his run joyfully on the beautiful beaches of Esterillos Oeste while he and his girl are hitting the waves :)

Pura Vida
Breakfast at Rancho Corral w/Adam & Francy



No comments: