Wednesday, August 8, 2012

La Sirena - Past & Present




































Just this past weekend my friend Teri from Hermosa came to EO so we could have breakfast at La Sirena Hotel.  She wanted to know everything I knew about the beautiful mermaid of Esterillos.  I told her everything I knew - the story behind her making, past efforts to restore, current issues with those who hold the keys to her future but have decided to just let her go.

These photos include the very first photo I took on my very first morning in Esterillos Oeste back in Sept 2006.  I fell in love at first sight and have had a passion for her ever since.  The older man is the person who created her about 24 year ago.  His name is Alvilio Valverde Cespedes and I believe he is now about 75 years old.  The photo of him was taken in 2008 when I managed to find him and asked him come to Esterillos to repair a damaged arm and other issues.  The repairs at the  time were minimal but helped stabilize.  In the years since the damage is now extreme and questionable as to repairable.  As I said efforts have been made to save her, but the family who created her has decided she is not worth it and indicate they have plans for a "new mermaid" - however - I believe the chance of that actually happening is unlikely.

No Pura Vida here...

1 comment:

EyesofAtlantic said...

How sad. She is such a magical part of your town.