Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Friends



Kirstin

Glenn

Carlos & Michael































In the past 2 weeks, 4 new people entered my life.  

First of all it was Kirsten.  I was getting off a bus after a trip to Parrita to pay my cable bill when I saw a young woman with a huge back pack ask another tico where was "Cabinas Cecilia".  I turned to her and asked her where was she from.  She lit up like a lightbulb hearing someone speak English.  I walked her to the place she was staying and from that moment on we were destined to be lifetime friends.  We had dinner together that night, took several walks, shared an awesome breakfast at Margarita's who still cooks on a wood burning stove.  Turned out she is a surfer from the Bay area in California.  I loaned her my beloved 8.0 that she rode every day she was here.  

Another evening while watching Kirsten surf, a man walked up to me and asked where might be a good place to camp on the beach.  I told him no where!  Violent crimes seldom happen here - but petty theft is huge.  Glenn had arrived in CR just 3 days prior and had ridden a bike from San Jose, made several over night stops before arriving in EO.  His plan is to travel by bike thru Costa Rica, Panama and then South America.  While sharing a beer he told me it was his birthday.  I turned to him told him I had never done this before but offered him my extra bedroom for the night.  We went to dinner for his birthday and I slept well knowing he was not out in the rain subject to the local thieves.  

The next morning I had plans to walk up the beach with Des and Sheila.  After breakfast, Glenn asked if he could join me.  I told him of course he could.  Long story short, about an hour up the beach, he slipped on the reef and landed hard on his shoulder.  He was obviously in pain - nothing broken but possibly a bruised or cracked rib.  As a result, his plans to bike down the coast that day came to a screeching halt and he stayed with me for the next 4 days.  Got a message from him yesterday saying he is high in the mountains south of here still recovering but enjoying the time there.

Then......the arrival of Michael and his father Carlos.  Michael is a former co-worker who is now a supervisor in the criminal clerk's office at the courthouse in Santa Maria where I used to work.  I have known Michael for many years but only from work.  When I was in California last April, like always, I tell all my friends there - you are welcome to come visit me in beautiful Costa Rica.  In all the years I have been here, Michael is the first to take me up on that offer.

Michael and his father were here for only a week but what a great week it was.  It was so much fun I am certain it will take a while for them to recover from all the coming and going we did.  Every single day they were on overload from all they saw and experienced.  Neither had ever made a trip such as this - in fact the only other country they had been to was Mexico where Carlos was born.

The highlight of the trip was being able to release baby turtles.  I knew this was peak season for the turtles and so one evening we visited a local reserve.  While we were there we met and visited for about an hour with the ranger in charge.  Luis is very passionate about his work and at the end of his presentation, he invited us to return that evening to help release the babies.  We could not make it that day,  but did return the next.

When we got to the preserve we were handed a bucket of 127 babies that had just hatched.  We were told we were now responsible for making sure their release to the ocean would be protected from birds and any other obstacles that might appear.  It was a huge responsibility and gift to hold each and every baby in our hands, place them on the beach a certain distance from the water and carefully watch as each and everyone swam off into the unknown.  

Michael and Carlos - Two amazing men who had never travelled on a trip such as this.  Father and son who shared a time they will never ever forget.  It was my pleasure to spend time with them, experience their love and respect for each other, see the joy in their eyes as they held baby turtles in their gentle hands - a once in a life time experience for all of us.

In just two weeks, that now looking back seems like much more - 4 new friends came into my life.  In the many years I have been here - I have met more people than I can possible count - most I still remain in contact with.  This has been the greatest gift of all from Costa Rica - the one I am most grateful for.  

Thank YOU Costa Rica!

Pura Vida

No comments: