Sunday, December 16, 2012

Graduacion 2012




























Last Wed. evening the Esterillos Oeste elementary school graduation ceremony was held at 5:30 in the evening.  During the day, two different children who saw me reminded me to come to this important event.

Like all graduation events all over the world, this monumental event in a child's life is marked by tradition, love and support of family and community.  It seemed like all of this little town of Esterillos was present.

Having now lived in this small community for over 6 years I know or recognized almost everyone present. The mother's were dressed in their finest clothes, all the children in their uniforms perfectly groomed.  It was an evening of celebration, proud parents, hope for the future.

One of the many joys of living in a small community is that we all know each other.  I may not know everyone's name but I am certain they all know mine.  The children are all so beautiful and kind.  Each and everyday I see many of these people - sometime several times a day, dependent on how many trips I make on my bicycle thru town.  Life here is very simple and quiet.  Families spend time together - talking, playing on the beach, walking thru town.  My guess is there are very few if any video games in Esterillos.  Children play in the streets with balls, jump ropes, bicycles.  

As I am typing, my tv is on covering todays events related to the massacre at the elementary school in Connecticut.  Like all the world when this news was released I was shocked and horrified.  Yesterday I finally put my head on my table and just cried.  As a mother I cannot imagine anything worse than the loss of a child to such an unimaginable cruel selfish act.

------------

I just went on a tangent about guns or no guns and then deleted all of it.  I personally don't believe guns are the issue - it is man.  This blog began as a memorial of a very sweet night just last Wednesday when all was right in the world in the little beach town named Esterillos Oeste in the beautiful country of Costa Rica and this is where I will leave it.

Pura Vida

No comments: