Friday, May 3, 2013

The Restoration of La Sirena.....A Learning Process


As you all know, it has now been 4 months since the day I sent out the global e-mail asking for help to save La Sirena and so many of you responded immediately.  At that time, with an overwhelming response - I truly believed this would all be done within a few months.  Silly me....I forgot where I live and the fact that nothing, nothing........ever goes the way you hope it will, here in Costa Rica.

The last e-mail I sent out was a bit gloomy - however - I do have good news to report!!  One of the contributors - Doug Enloe - who  owns and runs a water well drilling business back in California where I used to live, had a suggestion.  After consulting with his nephew who is a welding inspector in Nevada - this is what they suggested:

"We think a simple acetylene torch and Brazing rod will work best ... One needs to only braze a small amount , maybe 1 inch at a time , then peen this while it is hot . this will stretch the base metal and stop the cracking.... One needs to be patient , and not get in a hurry with her!"

The following is some info I found on the internet so I would know what they are talking about:

"Braze welding is a process of almost equal importance to the user of an oxy-acetylene welding outfit. It closely resembles fusion welding in several important respects.  It is used to produce joints of excellent strength in steel, in cast iron, and in copper and some copper alloys.  However, in braze welding, the filler metal always has a melting point well below the melting point of the base metal, and the base metal is never melted.

Years ago, the process we now term "braze welding" was commonly known as "bronze-welding".  Ever since the process was renamed "braze welding", there has existed a degree of confusion between the terms "brazing" and "braze welding". The American Welding Society definition for "brazing" and "braze welding" both stipulate that the filler metal must have a melting point of 425 C degrees (800 F). However, the definitions state that in brazing the filler metal is drawn into a tight-fitting joint by capillary attraction; in braze welding the filler metal is deposited in the joint by other than capillary attraction. 

The basis for the braze welding process is that both brass and bronze will flow onto property prepared surfaces of higher-melting-point metals or alloys to form a bond or molecular union which has excellent strength.  The base metal is never melted.  It is merely raised to the temperature at which the filler metal will tin - form a smooth film - on the surface of the joint.  Altho the temperatures involved are much lower than those required for the fusion welding of steel, braze welding is primarily an oxy-acetylene process.  The intense heat of the oxy-acetylene flame quickly raises the base metal to the proper temperature for tinning.  The welder can control every variable factor involved: the temperature of the base metal, the melting of the filler rod, and the condition (neutral or slightly oxidizing) of the flame."

For more information - check out the website I copied this info from:

------------

So now we have a new plan and Dieter is waiting for other materials he has ordered.  In the meantime, this week he came to fix the hole in her head.  Since the head does not contain any concrete, regular welding was just fine.  It was a beautiful morning.  On the way there, the chain on my bike broke so I was late arriving - however I got shots of the horses on the beach before I made the trek out over the reef.  When Dieter was done, the horses were still there, so I have included those photos of this awesome day.

Oh.....I almost forgot.  A few days ago, Abilio informed Elizabeth he will be here tomorrow with the new fin to replace the one that was washed away several years ago.  I look forward to seeing both Abilio and the fin!!!

Even tho this process has taken way longer than I expected, it has to be done right.  Dieter is only available on Saturdays and that is dependent on the tide.  He will not be here tomorrow because the supplies have not yet arrived and with the visit from President Obama here in Costa Rica today........it certainly will not happen today.

I also want to thank all of you for your patience.  Not a single person has sent me an e-mail asking what in the world is taking so long.  I truly appreciate that as I worry about this enough on my own!

Pura Vida














1 comment:

Chepe Centro said...

Hello Pat. It was great to find your blog.
A few years ago I met La Sirena in Esterillos, and loved it. I asked some of the locals about it but I got no info at all. Now I'm interested again and googling, I found your blog.
Got a couple of quick questions: Is there a place where I can find information about this sculpture? When was it made? Who is/was the artist? When was it placed there or was it specifically made for that beach? What was the inspiration or motivation?
Thank you!