Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Life Guard Training
























Just a week ago yesterday, 11 young people from our local area began extensive training to become certified life guards for Costa Rica.  Local kids from Esterillos met at Brett's that morning and all headed out together for 5 days of training by the Coast Guard in Quepos.  I saw Brett on Saturday, the morning after he had returned home the previous evening from also participating in the course.  He described it as being intense, serious and very worthwhile for not only the young participants, but himself.  

After the weekend to relax a bit - they were right back at it yesterday morning.  When the coast guard arrived to continue with training this week here in EO, I was introduced to Diego - the man in charge of the course.  The first thing he did was pass out the results of a written test taken on Friday.  I didn't see any one upset - huge smiles on everyone including Brett who got a 94 :)

Shortly after these photos were taken there was an unfortunate accident in the water.  A very good friend of Tom and Sheila's, a friend of 35 years visiting Costa Rica was pronounced dead on the same beach I was just taking photos about 30 minutes prior.  Amazingly it took over 3 hours for "authorities" to arrive, to do an "investigation" and take the body away.

I am not giving names, but I had just met this man the morning before.  As I sat at a table sharing breakfast with Tom/Sheila and their visiting friends, it actually occurred to me that this man, the man who passed away just yesterday, was beaming.  He seriously had a radiance about him and for the first time I can recall in my life - I was so aware of this coming from someone I had just met and in that short period of time I knew he was kind, he was good, he loved his wife and family, he was full of joy.

24 hours later this man was gone.  As of yesterday, no one knew the cause of death.  In one moment he was boogie boarding in shallow water on a day where the waves were very small.  Then in an instant,  he and Tom were riding a wave in together, Tom saw him slumped over the board.  He did not drown - no idea what happened.

This man was in great health, loved by many.  His death had a very powerful impact on me.  My love and condolences go to his family and all who knew him..........  

No comments: