Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sunday's Catch

SEA GLASS

According to Wikipedia:  Sea glass is glass found on beaches along oceansbaysrivers or large lakes that has been tumbled and smoothed by the waves, water and sand, creating smooth, frosted shards of glass.

I discovered this beach treasure about 3 years ago and have been obsessed ever since.  Each and every piece I find is like discovering hidden treasure.  I carefully check it out to make sure it is "done" - fully etched by the sea.  If not.....it goes back.  I must admit there have been a number of times when this was a delima - an unusual find, but not quite there.  Occasionally I find a way to justify keeping it but most of the time I let it go, hoping to find it another day when it is ready to be found.

Sunday was particularly good.  I was on a walk back with my friends Jeff and Sharon with Jeff's long time friend John from Half Moon Bay, CA.  John is here for only a few days - his first time ever in Costa Rica.  Punta Mala is one of my favorite places to visit in EO and he wanted to go - so despite the tide not being quite right, with a long walk in the heat of the day, the 4 of us made the trek - had a great time.  Maybe it was the extra bright sunlight that made the glass just pop out for me.

The most common colors here on my beach are white... of course, brown (beer bottles) and green.  Occasionally I find a light blue and different shades of green. This day was awesome - fun walk with great friends - wide variety of glass.

No comments: