Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tommy Lee....THE Tommy Lee right here in Esterillos






A few days ago I hear that Shane picked up his friend Tommy Lee from the airport earlier that day and that he was bringing him to LowTide.  You hear a lot of stuff here.....so I walked across the street, asked Shane if this was true.  He said for sure, had picked him and his children up earlier and they were staying at Los Suenos, about 30 minutes up the coast.  He would be bringing them to Esterillos tomorrow.

Later the next day, early afternoon, I'd ridden my bike down to the beach and was talking with Rosemary about the lifeguard program.  While I am standing there, I see Shane crossing the street,  headed towards me from LowTide.  He says he has someone he wants me to meet.  I look at him - he's got that twinkle in his eye.

Never in my life have I actually been introduced to a celebrity.  But there I was explaining to Tommy Lee how I had come to Costa Rica 4 years ago from the Pismo Beach area, planned to stay for just 3 months and 4 years later......here I am still.  He was there watching his sons in the water surfing.  I told him how warm the water is and actually encouraged him to take a surf lesson....duh.  Right after that I told him it was nice meeting him and left.  About an hour later, I went back to LowTide.  He was still there, as were a number of other people all casually sitting around having a drink, watching yet another spectacular sunset in the works.

I had also just met Teresa and Ean while sitting there.  They had taken a lesson from Brett two days prior and I remembered seeing them in the water the evening before.  They headed down to the beach and I followed to take their photo in the sunset.  As I was headed back up, Shane asked me to take a photo of him, Tommy and Tommy's friend.  Of course I was happy to.  Then James asked for a photo with him..... and then Lisa.  I sort of felt uncomfortable - like intruding in his space, but he was on the beach with friends and sincerely did not care.

It was an interesting experience.  I wasn't awestruck......I certainly was not speech less.  This was just another visitor to Esterillos that I was happy to meet.....like everyone else,  sincerely hoped they were having a good time, hoped they could see the magic of this place.

Now.......... Looking at the last picture with Lisa......the sparkle..... in his eyes - I think maybe now......I am a bit awestruck.

Thanks Shane!

No comments: