Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Eve.....Christmas Morning












Christmas Eve morning began with the delivery of toys all over Esterillos.  Afterwards Debbie and I took Ken out for breakfast at Margarita's - a favorite soda here in the village.  Ken's wife of over 40 years passed away unexpectedly this past year.  I had asked him if he could bring his large truck and participate in passing out the toys.  He was unaware of this annual event, but of all the people involved this year - including all the children who received......it was Ken who was the most grateful for the day.  To top off breakfast, 2 toucans came to serenade us.

Debbie had had a surf lesson with Brett a few days prior.  Every year I make sure I am in the water on Christmas Eve and this year my new friend wanted to join me.  The evening could not have been more beautiful.  This was her first time to see our spectacular coast line from the water.  As the sun began it's final dissent....the whole world seemed quite.  Everyone in the water just sat there in their own silence, taking in the gift of perfection.  It was simply breathtaking.

Afterwards, a race home to shower, get dressed and head out for dinner.  Debbie and I went to the favorite restaurant - Karen's Almendros.  Great dining with a caribbean flair.  The place was packed.  Afterwards, El Vago's - time spent with the Esterillos family.

Up early the next morning and back in the water.  This time, way less people, great waves.  Small but clean.  Perfect!!!  Breakfast at La Sirena.  Late afternoon, arrived at Fred and Bri's just in time to hear the last of Christmas carols....the first I have ever heard here.  Then dinner at Eleanor's with friends, old and new. Shrimp, turkey, all the usual good stuff.

Despite all the great things that happened.....this year I seriously missed my family.  I missed the years with my boys and the craziness of Christmas in the states. The annual traditions, the unconditional love that comes from family.  My sons are all grown now, each living their own lives.  Chris, Scott and Sean - please know that I love you.  You are the most treasured gifts of my life.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

No comments: