Sunday, June 3, 2012

Popeye





A few days ago Brett asked me if I wanted to ride along to pick up some resin for board repairs in Puntarenas.  I had nothing else going on and was happy for the opportunity to get out of town.

Puntarenas (sand point) is about an hour and 20 minutes up the coast.  It is an old port town where ferries carry vehicles from the city to the Nicoya Peninsula, cruise ships make scheduled tour stops, container ships come and go carrying a wide variety of goods.  I like it simply because it is old and reflects life of a tico culture that is long established and dramatically different from where I live that is very much influenced by tourism.

The shop that sells the resin is just one of a very few in the country that sells this product.  The store is located right in the middle of the fish market district.  I was totally surrounded by photo opps that I couldn't bring my self to take advantage of because I simply feel uncomfortable treating people like tourist objects.  It was everywhere - I just let it go.  Instead we decided to stop for a beer.  As we drove around looking for a place to stop, Brett suggested something rather nice.  I told him the last thing I wanted was a tourist stop.....and then we saw Popeye Bar - Perfect!

When we walked it the young bartender happily greeted us.  There was only one other couple there.  Instead of a table - I wanted the bar.  David took our order and then the fun began.  David is 14 with a dazzling smile.  Brett speaks fluent spanish.  He told us about the photos in the bar and some of the other "decorative" objects.  There was a toy Popeye so we started taking about all the characters of the cartoon.  David knew all of them - OliveOil, Brutus, on and on!

This was no big deal.....but on the other hand it was.  My life in Costa Rica still amazes me on a daily basis.  In my former life, sharing a beer in a old port town with a 14 year old bartender and discussing Popeye.......would never, ever have happened.  The small little daily occurrences such as this.......still - totally delight me - and for that......I am truly grateful!

On the way back I had Brett stop at one of my most favorite spots - An outlook you have to take a bit of a daring hike to......but so worth it.  Caught the sun as it was going down :)

Pura Vida

No comments: